simple tips for the virtual interview
August 17th, 2020
Most interviews are virtual interviews these days. How do you make sure you make a good impression on video? These may seem obvious, but we have seen some candidates do some crazy things on virtual interviews.
Here are some tips for your next virtual interview:
- Make sure they can see your face! Don’t sit with a window behind you – your face won’t show up on camera. The main source of light should be in front of you just like you are taking a picture.
- Wear professional clothing. Even though the interview is virtual, it is still an interview and you need to present yourself in the best possible way.
- What’s behind you? Make sure to check what can be seen in the background. Is there a tv on? Are there people walking around? Is there an unmade bed? Ideally, you don’t want any distractions so find a nice quiet, neat room.
- Are there any background noises? A quiet room should alleviate any odd background noises but luckily most people will understand if there are lawnmowers or other outdoor noises that cannot be avoided.
- What are you using for the camera? Ideally a laptop but if not, you can use your phone as a last resort.
There are a lot of things to think about with a job search and luckily you don’t need to do it alone. Our recruiters will help you get ready for your interview and remind you of what to do to get ready for a virtual interview.